[Openstreetmap-dev] drawing algorihtms

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Mon May 23 16:38:23 BST 2005

so something like

looking at the attached png:

6 lines represented by letters

b and e are street segments connected by the node represented by the
circle, of radius r. distance between adjacent lines is r also., hence
they are parallel and glance the circle.

the b - e intersection Ill call p

angle b-p-e is the angle between lines, get that by dot product of p-b
and p-e. call that angle t for theta.

point g is where b crosses the circle. transform the circle to the
origin. make point g the complex coordinate r*exp(i t), where r=radius,
t = theta.

multiply complex g by exp[i Pi] rotates it 90 degrees left which gets
the point where a glances the circle. multiply by exp[i -Pi] to get
where c glances. do the same for the other end of the node to get a and
c in the first place if you want.

do the same for d and f.

now you just need where d crosses c which is a line intersection test,
so you have your arc and all the points to draw in brown

now make it an algorithm where you can add an arbitrary number of lines,
since you have an arc and the lines a-f, its all just more intersections
and shrinking the arc. the arc can never be split in to two...

right?