[Openstreetmap-dev] Node / line segment database statistics separation

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 12:10:08 GMT 2005

>Fair enough.  I think the towns out-weigh the long roads though, and
>even if you don't have grid iron streets, then every t-junction,
>crossroads, roundabout etc contributes more lines than roads.
>
>That's the way I see it on screen grabs like this one anyway....
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/news/images/birmingham-detail2-nov-2005.jpg
>(your work I believe?)

Nice screen shot!

It may not be as one sided as you think though, although I admit the
grid-iron does figure more strongly in the older town centres. Look at all
those little cul-de-sacs in the newer residential areas. They are
effectively linear rather than grid and because of all the modern curved
roads there are loads of nodes. From all the cycling I have done up and down
this area I can say that there have been a lot more cul-de-sacs than grids.

These little quiet cul-de-sacs should also carry an OSM warning about
getting funny looks when slowly riding a bike down the middle of the road in
a florescent cycling jacket. "You can't get out of here mate/love/dear"
seems to be the general response :)

>I'll see if they're easy stats to pull out of the database anyway, then
>we can keep track.
>
>Tom.

Andy