[Openstreetmap-dev] OSM - Schema - Phase 1 - Request for Comment

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 12:26:27 GMT 2005

I'll be brief:

Tom Carden wrote:

>If GPX schema elements are to be used (and we expect people to reuse bits
>of a GPX parser, for example), can we just use a gpx namespace?

I don't see why not where we keep it identical.

>Wouldn't it be better to fit this discussion around the THINGS you
>actually want to represent, rather than arbitrary jargon-y suggestions for
>elements without any grounding?

They do have grounding and I do have several lists of what I believe is in
most people's minds in terms of map/mapping features and their associated
meta data. If I don't set down the root starting point it makes the job of
discussing the wish list more difficult. For instance, saying that Baker
Street is a Point or Area rather than a Way doesn't really get us anywhere
and similarly nor does saying this Point is "one way".

>Wouldn't it be better to do this with an eye on what the database already
>supports, and try and map closely to that for simplicity's sake?

That's why I asked Steve for clarification on what it supports, so hopefully
I'm not way out of the box.

> But how do I roll back vandalism?

I agree, totally off topic and a topic that those far more able to
understand the issues than myself should look to discuss ;)

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Robinson