[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: [Openstreetmap] upload, applet

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 10:35:39 BST 2005

Tom Carden <tom at tom-carden.co.uk>@vr.ucl.ac.uk on 05/10/2005 08:54:44

>If your software's primary goal is to simplify GPS traces before upload,
>be sure to create nodes and segments and streets using the API.

This is presumably a case of exporting XML understood by OpenStreetMap and
then sending it over HTTP to the server; that's what I do at the moment.

>However, I would prefer that people upload their GPS logs before
>processing them.

Not too sure about this... when I process my GPS tracks ready for upload
(currently to Freemap, but will be OSM once the keys/values are done) I
prefer to edit them straight away to get rid of obviously dodgy points
(where the GPS lost reception for instance), and places where I diverged
from the path to look at a view, go into a pub or shop, took the wrong turn
(rare, but occasionally happens in areas I am unfamiliar with) etc... I
don't think there's any need for these sorts of divergences to ever set
foot on the server.

I also prefer to reduce the number of track points (using angle/distance
based criteria) to avoid overloading the server with too  much detail.

But it's no big deal as it doesn't really affect the software. For
instance, osm-editor can already download data from Freemap, allow the user
to edit it and then upload it again, in a simplified Subversion-like
approach of 'checking out' the data.

However, when I upload path data to OSM, expect it to be edited :-)

Nick