[Openstreetmap-dev] JOSM Beta available to download

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Oct 5 22:06:50 BST 2005

Hi,

> Even with sexy new language constructs, can't you compile for different
> targets in 1.5 (e.g. javac -target 1.4, or something)? I'm not sure what
> that loses you, but I didn't think the byte code spec had changed for
> 1.5, just some new libraries and the generics/foreach/import stuff.

The target of 1.5 requires source compability of 1.4.

zeus:~$ javac -source 1.5 -target 1.4
javac: source release 1.5 requires target release 1.5
zeus:~$

Sun claims this has to happen because of the Annotation support, but
strangly, it worked under the beta of the Java compiler from sun and the
feature disappered in the final release (the latest beta already
supported Annotations). So some misguided individuels would allege that
Sun just want to promote their new java libraries and render any pre 1.5
library useless for stupid people (like me) that insist to use Java 1.5.

Well, I thought about using a different programming language (The Java
from Sun has bigger problems in the open source sector than not
providing "-source 1.5 -target 1.4") but then I would have to choose C++
and QT ant that's already Nick's domain ;-)

Ciao, Imi.