[Openstreetmap-dev] More on GPX schema

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Wed Sep 21 20:07:45 BST 2005

* On 21-Sep-2005 at 11:25AM PDT, Immanuel Scholz said:

> By the way: Personally I am not very attached to gpx (or even xml)
> anyway. If the database scheme of OSM does not fit into gpx, as example
> because it stores street segments as pairs only and the algorithm to
> find pair chains from an unordered list is within O(n^2), you could
> choose a more appropriate data representation than gpx. But if you
> choose gpx, stick to it. That's my 2 cent ;-)

I couldn't agree more. I hope you won't mind if I dip my oar in and
observe that an XML namespace would work as well:

    <trk>
     <number>50521</number>
     <name>Lodge Road</name>
     <extensions>
	 <osm:foot>yes</osm:foot>
	 <osm:horse>yes</osm:horse>
	 <osm:car>yes</osm:car>
	 <osm:class>secondary</osm:class>
     </extensions>
     <trkseg>

And if anyone complains that this would break some kind of XML
validation of the GPX, I'm going to hit you with my RDF stick. But,
for God's sake, whether you add one tag or a namespace full of em,
don't break existing definitions in the GPX standard, please. :-)

SDE