[Openstreetmap-dev] More on GPX schema

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Thu Sep 22 08:37:18 BST 2005

> Sorry, but I disagree. A list of values represented as xml-string is NOT
> a description. <desc> is a description!

I was just trying to get all the info in there without having to resort to
extensions. But I see your point, it is a bit messy mixing XML and non-XML
data, and it might be that someone might wish to have a full textual
description of a street which would go in the <desc> tag. I suppose it's a
question of what's conceptually messier.... storing data in a non-XML format
within an XML file, or using extensions.

> To me, it should be look like (the tagname "osm" is negotiable ;)
>
> <trk>
> <number>50521</number>
> <name>Lodge Road</name>
> <extensions>
> <osm name="foot" value="yes" />
> <osm name="horse" value="yes" />
> <osm name="car" value="yes" />
> <osm name="class" value="secondary" />
> </extensions>

How about (to cut down on file size...)
<trk>
<number>50521</number>
 <name>Lodge Road</name>
 <extensions>
<permissions foot="yes" horse="yes" car="yes"/>
<class>secondary</class>
</extensions>

Nick