[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: Streets in GPX

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Fri Sep 23 08:40:46 BST 2005

nick at hogweed.org wrote:
> On Thursday 22 September 2005 19:53, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong (it may just be the way the manual is written
> and the lack of good tutorials on the web)

have you seen this intro to GML?
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/11/24/tourist.html
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/29/tourist.html

>, but from what I've seen so far,
> GML does seem *very* complicated; unduly so for representing simple maps. You
> appear to have to set up all manner of things before you can even represent a
> line. I'm sure I could get my head round it given enough careful study but
> should one have to do that.... surely a good data format is one which is
> simple if you want to do simple things, and complex only if you want to do
> very advanced things. The most widely-used markup language, HTML, followed
> precisely those guidelines.

GML defines a whole bunch of things we don't need
one idee might be to define a subset of GML we support

> GPX on the other hand is simple and clean. I don't think there's anything
> wrong with using GPX for exchanging data to and from OpenStreetMap; with the
> exception of keys and values, every feature can be accounted for.

not only keys/values ...
i still missing a way to define a street by a list of segments that
also belong to other streets
(my old example for Bundestraße in Germany/route nationale in france
where the B#/RN# goes over several hundered km
and has additional names in cities,
in some cases, the same segment belongs to several B# and has also
a city street name)

GPX also lacks support for areas

in my opinion the current representation for nodes in data transfers
might give some problems with floating point comparisons
(the old XMLRPC interface gives every node a unique nodeid,
while the GPX interface represents nodes as float LAT/LON)

> Of course OSM could make up its own XML format for representing maps....

maybe we should ..

frank