[OSM-talk] Re: [OSM-dev] Possible FAQ? Getting a REST api account

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Thu Apr 6 13:59:49 BST 2006

On 4/6/06, Etienne Cherdlu <openstreetmap-L at gj0.net> wrote:
> Click on the Register link in the top right corner of the page at
> www.openstreetmap.org.

The wiki page didn't make it clear that it was just an OSM username
and password that you needed, instead of perhaps one specifically just
for the API. I've added a link from there that will hopefully clarify
it.

> IMHO the GET method for the REST API should allow anonymous access,
> but at the moment you have to register.

I think I'd agree with that as well. Perhaps the act of having to
register and login suggests you're aware of the licence(?), but also
it means there's presumably a record of who has downloaded what
information - maybe useful if the licence is infringed at some point?

Cheers,
Dan
(must remember to Reply to all when I want to reply to the list -
sorry if you get two copies, Etienne)

--
Dan Karran
dan at karran.net