Eureka! was Re: [OSM-dev] SQL optimisation

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 22:49:34 BST 2006

Nick Hill wrote:
> tile, I am seeing an improvement of ten fold.

After running random queries 30 times, the speed has fallen to about
parity with the ordinary version using 1M point random point field. This
is probably to do with caching of data and the way MySQL optimises.

It will be interesting to see  how this compares with other
combinations, such as a 10m point field, and whether we can dispense
with an index on the larger double type values.