[OSM-dev] Ordering of Segments within Ways

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Apr 11 10:46:53 BST 2006

> I'm looking at rendering street names on roads.
>
> I expected to just be able to define a path that followed the segments
> in a way.  But on closer inspection ways appear to be only a
> collection of segments not an ordered list.

No. Segments are ordered within ways.

> Has any thought been given to the ordering of segments within a way?

They are strictly ordered after they occour within the xml document
uploaded to the server.

When using the applet, you can see the order of the segments in the third
tab of the property page of the way. You can rearrange the order by using
the up/down buttons.

JOSM tries to reorder the linesegemnts to be in a straight line before
creating a way out of them. (This works only if the segments ARE in a
straight ;). Currently you cannot rearrange the order of line segments in
JOSM.

Ciao, Imi.