[OSM-dev] Applet hangs

David Sheldon dave-osm at earth.li
Fri Apr 14 19:21:44 BST 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:27:39AM +0200, Immanuel Scholz wrote:

> > On 4/8/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> >> Lately, it has sometimes happened to me that the edit applet just
> >> hangs and doesn't respond.  It happened when I was placing new
> >> dots, and at the next click there was no dot.  I cannot switch to
> >> the line segment tool or any other tool.  Next thing, after I
> >> switch to another window and back, the toolbar isn't rendered.
>
> When this happen again, can you please have a look at your java console
> for exceptions?

I suspect it is another ConcurrentModificationException. My patch
improved it but doesn't solve the problem. We are editing structures
when we get responses from the server, and in another thread drawing
using the data. I am currently using a nasty hacked client where I catch
the exception when copying the collection and just try it again. This
isn't the ideal sollution so I haven't submitted a patch. Ideally we
should have all modification of these structures via well-defined
methods that can be synchronised.

David

--
        God gave men brains larger than dogs' so they wouldn't
                hump women's legs at cocktail parties.