[OSM-talk] Re: [OSM-dev] Rules file for OSM renderer

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 13:55:21 BST 2006

On 4/19/06, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> * @ 19/04/06 10:58:41 AM Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk wrote:
> >
> > No specific caching ATM, though obviously this would be needed for a
> > production version: I guess one would use squid?
>
> So those tiles are all made on the fly!? They're pretty quick, even if
> the dev server is not useed much.

I think this was my point when you were talking about distributed
rendering (I think it's overkill), and Mikel's point when he kept
saying that it would be worth rendering tiles using C or trying
another language like Perl.

If you look at what the applet etc can do - rendering large areas at
interactive rates - then clearly it should be possible to render tiles
very quickly.

The database hit is the issue - presumaby the dev machine is
significantly quicker, but also I think Nick is hitting it directly in
PHP and not going through the API?

Time to profile this properly at every stage?

Tom.