[OSM-dev] Further Database optimisation and data size

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Fri Apr 21 08:58:37 BST 2006

> And I think the complexity increase is much worse than "without
> noticeably". Just having floating points is much more natural to deal
> with in an application than with "integers of ten million per degree".
>

> If you can make the server behave faster by storing the values as
> integers, no problem.

I completely agree with Imi.

I really don't want to increase the complexity of the API by having to deal
with integers for values which are floats in reality .
If there is a possibility to get the Server faster by storing the coordinates
as integers but presenting them as normal floats it sounds not good, but at
least maybe acceptable to me, but having to deal with Special-integer to
really float conversions in the client would be a P.I.A.(Pain in the API) for
me.

So my vote definitely is:

   +1 : keep floats for lat/lon in the API !!!

-

Joerg