[OSM-dev] Mailing list -> forum? NO!

Robert Scott lists at riscott.ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 26 16:01:33 BST 2006

Hi,

I'm going to have to agree with Joerg here and say forums are generally
ineffective unless you have the sheer userbase to warrant them. And by that I
mean gentoo forums order of magnitude.

The problem with forums is you don't ever know who's talking about what where.
Discussion gets split up. You miss out on discussions unless you can be
bothered to read every subforum every day. The forum software often gets
confused about what you've read and what you haven't.

Really, when you have a mailing list you have the same setup, only you're
allowing each user to choose their own client software to organise it how
they want. With a forum, you're limiting them to using the forum's interface.
Maybe you're using the wrong mail client. I use kmail.

This is just my personal opinion, so I'll leave it there. I've just seen too
many optimistically started forums turn into wastegrounds for my liking.

robert.