[OSM-dev] Mailing list -> forum? NO!

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Apr 26 16:15:16 BST 2006

Hi,

> I think the problem of categorizing stuff is not really a problem of the
> mailing-list. It's a problem of the people handling the medium.
> Wouldn't it be better if we all try to:
>  - Set our reply headers much more accurate.
[stripped many "how you could do it right with much energy spent]
> Please don't close the mailing-list. Keep your Headerfiles clean by
> replying correctly and really start new threads for new subjects!!

Of course, you can communicate efficient with a mailing list, if you put
enough energy in it. If you use an up-to-date mail client, know all your
mailing settings well, follow some quoting style-guides and so on, then it
is possible to use mailing lists, even for heavy communications.

If we would be a community developing an email-client or a mailing list
manager, I would have no problems with it. Since we are not, I rather
spent energy into other things than configure a mail system (or try to
find a mail system that fit's the need of a mailing lists with dozends of
mails per day).

>  -10 : having to read a Forum (in addition)

You have only one voice. And as I said, we already loose contributors by
not choosing an appropiate communication platform. And with increasing
volume it is not likely that more people join, but that people scared
away.

(This does *not* mean that I want you out, it is just a matter of fact).

Ciao, Imi.