[OSM-dev] Re: Checking consistency in the Server -- Was: Defunct Way ..

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Sun Apr 30 10:14:58 BST 2006

On Sunday 30 April 2006 11:03, Raphael Jacquot wrote:
> Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> > Sent by:        talk-bounces at openstreetmap.org
> > To:     talk at openstreetmap.org
> > cc:
> > Subject:        [OSM-talk] Defunct Way id="200391" in osm - please delete
> >
> >>Can someone help me to delete this way:
> >
> > The version of osmeditor2 I am using at home is slightly tweaked. It has
> > a dialog box where the user can enter the ID of a way they wish to
> > delete, precisely for this reason... so that I can erase any corrupt ways
> > I create by accident.
> >
> > However I am concerned about making this public in case it encourages
> > vandalism.... any thoughts?

You still need a valid account to delete things like this. I don't see any
difference in doing it this way compared to downloading a complete area and
then deleting everything in there and then uploading again.

> I'd vote on a cleaner process in the server that removes broken objects

I personally would prefer having some more checks on the server side too.
But the difficulty is: where to draw the line between broken stuff and only
strange/unexpected input.
I think in this case we could clearly say it's broken, but which other
constellations do we also define as broken?

I can add some more checks to the check_osm.pl script to find even more of
these oddities.

-

Joerg