[OSM-dev] planet.osm - fix

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Aug 10 20:44:56 BST 2006

Hi,

> I think I have corrected the broken character in the node with the
> greek alphabet now. And will continue to try to correct more.

First of all: In principle, it is a good idea to correct broken things as
soon as you see them. But the unicode mess came in due a bug in the server
(which is hopefully fixed soon).

So if you correct things that look strange while the server is broken,
they may be broken when the server is fixed again.  :-(

Ciao, Imi

PS - A bit of understanding history:
The bug mentioned here is fixed in SVN but not in the current running
server code. It should not be exported by the planet.rb script, but should
occoure when you download the corresponding section from the server. I
don't know what happen, when you upload the result of the planet.rb script
with unicode problematic characters to the current broken server (haven't
tested it yet).

Steve knows of the existence of the bug and it will hopefully be updated
in the server very soon. Additional to that, Steve is currently writing a
new server implementation which promises to deal with this kind of stuff
(Ruby on Rails).. let's hope the promise is true.. :-?