[OSM-dev] planet.osm - fix

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Aug 15 16:44:48 BST 2006

David Sheldon wrote:

> XML specifies UTF-8 as the default if no encoding is specified.

Correct.

> I vote for ASCII, and anything that cannot be represented in ASCII being
> represented by entities in the &#..; form.

This is a requirement that differs from the XML standard.  If your
proposal is accepted, then I cannot use just any
standard-conformant XML library that correctly outputs UTF-8, but
I must write my own encoding routines that only output ASCII with
&#..; entities.  That makes things a whole lot more complicated.
Did we come here to write XML encoders/parsers or did we come here
to create free maps?

I vote for standard XML.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)