[OSM-dev] Proposed database improvement

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Thu Aug 31 15:31:50 BST 2006

Since the query update, It appears the database server is now receiving
and processing around 3-4x the rate of queries (at least according to
IOwait and Ethernet statistics), and is nowhere near capacity constrained.

I wonder how much of that extra load is productive?

In other words, perhaps the amount of load which can be generated can
increase much faster than the useful work. Should we consider how to
improve the ratio? For this, we'd need to define useful work, which
could be politically and practically difficult.