[OSM-dev] JOSM plugin for direct serial read

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 11:47:22 GMT 2006

>Hello Nick

>Such functionality would be good so long as users don't get into the
habit of
>uploading GPX tracks directly into Josm then 'forget' to create a file
from the
>GPX track and upload it to OSM. In other words, I would only consider
such a
>function 'good' if (1) it saved each file onto the user's machine,
presumably as
>gpx.gz, and (2) by default, it also automatically uploaded the GPX file
to OSM.

>The step of converting data from my GPS receiver to a file is of almost
no
>effort. I visit the folder where I keep my GPX tracks, then execute a
script.

>The combined effort of converting data from my GPS receiver to a file
then
>uploading to OSM then opening the file in Josm are steps I'd be pleased
to have
>integrated into a single step on Josm.

Yes, I think that's a good point. The only issue at the moment is the
current GPX upload system (a 'multipart-form-data' file upload with
session authentication rather than a REST-style HTTP PUT with HTTP
authentication) isn't the easiest thing for client software to work with.

Steve - is adding a REST-style interface for GPX upload on your OSMonth
to-do list?

Thanks,
Nick