[OSM-dev] mapnik on Debian/Ubuntu

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Dec 11 02:10:13 GMT 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:58:45AM +0100, Jens.Kammann at dlr.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Slippy_Map
>
> to install mapnik.
>
> However,
>
> >python scons/scons.py install
>
> fails with:
>
> >scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> >Checking for main() in C library ltdl... yes
> >Checking for main() in C library png... yes
> >Checking for main() in C library tiff... yes
> >Checking for main() in C library z... yes
> >Checking for main() in C library jpeg... yes
> >Checking for main() in C library pq... no
> >Checking for main() in C library proj... yes
> >Checking for main() in C++ library boost_thread... no
> >Checking for main() in C++ library boost_thread-gcc-mt... no
> >Could not find header or shared library for boost thread, exiting!
>
> I tried to understand the "SConstruct" file, but couldn't figure out
> which file is missing.
>
> Anyone using this package on Debian or Ubuntu?

It's not possible to install mapnik on debian sarge, as the libboost
libraries are too old. However, this problem is probably not that:
either you are missing the boost_thread dev library, or you are having
the same problem that I am, which is that gcc3.3 doesn't seem to build
with -pthread support by default (while later versions do?)

I modified line 73 of scons/scons-local-0.96.1/SCons/Tool/c++.py:

     env['CXXFLAGS']   = SCons.Util.CLVar('$CCFLAGS')
-    env['CXXCOM']     = '$CXX $CXXFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $_CPPDEFFLAGS
     $_CPPINCFLAGS -c -o $TARGET $SOURCES'
+    env['CXXCOM']     = '$CXX $CXXFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $_CPPDEFFLAGS
$_CPPINCFLAGS -pthread -c -o $TARGET $SOURCES'
     env['SHCXX']      = '$CXX'

This allowed my build to succeed.

I don't know what this means with regard to your problem, but I was
having a similar problem and was able to solve it this way.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta