[OSM-dev] Dealing with segements referencing deleted nodes in the planet dump

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 19 22:03:08 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 21:25 +0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Jon,
>
> We had a discussion mainly on irc about three weeks ago on this. As you say
> the problem is that we have segments in the database which are live but use
> nodes which have been deleted (ie visible=false). As I recall although this
> isn’t right at the db end of things it can be overcome by ensuring none of
> these end up in the planet file or delivered by the API. I'm assuming there
> is a ticket somewhere on this and expect it's in Steve's to do list.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

They don't get delivered by the API. This is actually a shame since it
would make them easier to clean. Looking at
www.openstreetmap.org/ruby/api/segment.rb there is no way to delete a
segment where one of the nodes is not visible (though it may be possible
to change the nodes to ones which are visible and then delete it).

Any idea if the planet dump routines are in SVN? I've a suspicion that
performing a node lookup at export time might not be desired since it
adds to the overhead and really ought to be fixed in the DB so it
doesn't have to be repeated every time.

Something needs to be done otherwise the DB can never be made UTF-8
clean since some bad entries can not be accessed to fix or delete.

	Jon