[Openstreetmap-dev] Adding street data

Preben Mikael Bohn preben at chin.dk
Wed Feb 1 16:47:24 GMT 2006

> On 2/1/06, Preben Mikael Bohn <preben at chin.dk> wrote:
>> I've got hold of ~50 MB of data from the danish mapping agency (under a
>> free distribution license) which relates each address in Denmark with a
>> WGS84 position.
>
> Great can you make it available?

It _should_ be available somewhere on http://www.kms.dk/ however I can't
seem to find it right now (I have saved the files locally). I have made a
few reader programs for the data files (they a packaged in a rather
inefficient way) and I can write the data out in another format which I
could upload to the OSM server.

> The only way OSM handles metadata is through tags on nodes or
> segments, right now that is used to set the name of the street. You
> could use this to place your data on the OSM map, for later use.
> Highly inefficient but it works now-

If I add a tag such as the one below for each and every address in
Denmark, wouldn't it slow down the OSM server (which is already incredible
slow IMHO, no offense :)) quite a bit? There would be a lot of redundant
information (node 1: lat/lon/postcode/address/number, node 2:lat/lon/same
postcode/same address/number, node 3... ).

> Just create a OSM node for each entry in your database
> http PUT this into the database.
>
> <osm version='0.2'>
> <node lon='-0.148588713362387'
> tags='name=Långgatan;streetnumber=12;postcode=12345'
> lat='51.5278975364617'/>
> </osm>

This seems quite easy. Are there any extremely simple ways to do this
using e.g. wget? How about password, etc?

>> Another question: Is it possible to add properties to roads in the
>> editor?
>
> No not in the applet editor that is used on the webpage.

I havn't used any of the other editors. Will they be able to do it?

A followup question: When naming segments in the java-editor, I need to
name each segment seperately. Isn't it possible to name mulitple segments
at the same time (for non-linear roads)?

Best regards Preben