[Openstreetmap-dev] Adding street data

Preben Mikael Bohn preben at chin.dk
Wed Feb 1 23:32:49 GMT 2006

> The first step should be to republish the exact original source
> data without any modifications, together with the license.  From
> there, many projects can make use of it.  Do you have the storage
> space and bandwidth to do this?

Depending on the load, I guess so (and I guess the load will be light). I
can also publish it on a ftp server (does openstreetmap have one
available?) but I honestly don't see the need; everyone should be able to
contact kms.dk to obtain a copy and as they will probably refine it errors
may be fixed in later versions.

> Street
> address coordinates don't always follow the street, for example
> when large buildings are perpendicular to the street.

True. However in the city I live in I have tried to follow some streets
this way and it seems to correlate well.

>   class StreetAddress
>     extends GeoPoint { // e.g. latitude, longitude
>     Street street;    // pointer to object, e.g. "Downing Street"
>     String number;    // e.g. "10" or "14 A"
>     ZIP    zipcode;   // pointer to postal number zone
>   }
>
>   class Street {
>     String name;      // e.g. "Downing Street"
>   }

In the data I have there are also accuracy indicators which would be nice
to have on GPS-positions as well.

Best regards Preben