[Openstreetmap-dev] ticket 134

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Feb 16 13:46:33 GMT 2006

Despite all the excitement, I want to draw attention away from
tiling algorithms and also away from response time issues, and
back to ticket 134, http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/134

When I look at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=57.664&lon=14.976&zoom=12
I see:

 * Two tiles that correctly contain streets and background.
 * Four tiles that are all white, not even satellite background.
 * Several tiles in the center of the city that should contain
   streets, but only show the satellite background.

Were these tiles produced by ruby/api/wms/streets.rbx ?

Where did this program go wrong when the all-white tiles were
output?

Where did this program go wrong when no streets were drawn?

How could we improve this situation?  Or at least find out more
about it?  Could the program write "sorry" to STDERR when it fails
to do its job, and could I see that logfile, please?

Apparently, very similar problems exist in the generation of tiles
with yellow marks for the edit applet, which I assume is made by
gpx.rbx. The code in gpx.rbx is also very similar to that in
streets.rbx.

Is the problem in Magick?  Does anything run out of memory or
timeout?  What happens?  Which component controls what?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)