[Openstreetmap-dev] Applet hacking

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:52:59 GMT 2006

On 2/17/06, Frank Mohr <f_mohr at yahoo.de> wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
> > * @ 17/02/06 11:46:16 AM immanuel.scholz at gmx.de wrote:
> >
> >>So I just talked to Steve and agreed to join the applet hacking team for a
> >>bit. He in turn will hopefully find time to code the ruby part of ways in
> >>the server (ticket 83).
> >

> > Yes.
> >
> > This means I'm now doing API 0.3 so if you want a feature, shout now.
>
> i'd really like to have that "changed since" feature i proposed
> sometimes ago on the wiki.

You mean onlt send the data that has changed since this date, i.e the
difference? Yes that would be a good idea, but I would also like to
vote for implementing the HTTP header "Last-modified:" and
"If-Modified-Since" aka IMS for posibilities to do caching..

See:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.29

> Advantages:
> - less network load for database request if people or offline editors
>   cache some region localy
> - people "feeling responsible" for an area have an easy way to see
>   what's changed

+ less server load? If data is indexed by date..

--
/Erik