[OSM-dev] zoom limit for streets

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Feb 23 02:49:19 GMT 2006

The viewer (website) currently only shows streets at zoom=11 and
deeper.  This limit was introduced after it was believed that it
would help performance problems.

Right now, in the middle of the (European) night, I don't see any
performance problems.  Is it possible that we could change the
limit to, say, zoom=9 instead of 11?  How can we determine what
impact such a change has on performance, so we can make an
informed decision to continue to zoom=7 or go back to zoom=10 as
the limit?

MySQL has a "slow query log".  A similar log for slow OSM API and
tile requests might be a good tool for performance tuning.  Do we
have one already?

If there is a performance problem during daytime, but not at
night, perhaps the zoom limit should change by the hour?  Once
generated, the cached tiles will stay for 48 hours anyway.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)