[Openstreetmap-dev] Wiki: XML Schema vs. REST examplesHi,

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Jan 10 20:19:39 GMT 2006

Hi,

> On the OSM wiki, some examples given for the REST api say:
> <segment tags='name=harrypotter; ; ; ; ; ' from='194797' to='226261'
> uid='192388'/>
>
> While over in the XML Schema page it says:,
> <property uid="111" object="678" key="name" value="Baker Street" />
>
> Which one is correct,

They are both somewhat correct.

The example in the REST page is how it is currently implemented. Steve likes
it the way where the server only knows about tag-strings and nothing else.

However, I (and I believe Nick too?) prefere a way where the server understand
key/value pairs. The REST example is the current quick-and-working
implementation to just-support-properties. The XML-Schema is my suggestion
how I would do things to transfer.

The disadvantage of the tag-string is, that it could become huge as more
people start to use more properties for different things (and as automated
properties start to happen as example "created_by=JOSM" or something like
this).

The tags attribute will be replaced by the seperate tag as soon as they don't
fit the needs anymore. But who knows? Maybe we get away with the working
implementation ;-)

> and can this, as well as the Data Primitives and
> Key Value System pages be changed to be consistent (whichever way it
> eventually will be).

You can copy and post this email as clarification into the wiki, if you
want :-)

If you want to implement the property tags, feel free!

Ciao, Imi.