[Openstreetmap-dev] curves

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Wed Jan 18 09:37:03 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:29:44AM -0000, Tom Carden wrote:
> > My experience of street network data in GIS is that it doesn't usually use
> > curves at all. Everything is points and straight lines, or polylines, and
> > although it looks crude at very close zooms the data is always good
> > enough.
> Interesting.  We can do better than that then :)

Doesn't adding curves make it a lot harder to do navigation bits?
Presently it's quite easy as the data is nodes and straight lines, which
means it's a simple directed graph where you can calculate the line
lengths quite easily. Will the server be extended to return a suitable
graph or will clients be expected to calculate the curve lengths
themselves?

J.

--
/-\                             | ///\oo/\\\ There are no more bugs.
|@/  Debian GNU/Linux Developer |        ///\oo/\\\ ///\oo/\\\