[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: [Openstreetmap] cache of editor applet background?

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 09:54:51 GMT 2006

> Squids cache can be invalidated/purged with the squidclient command,
> it is available in the squid source package  (or in debian by: apt-get
> install squidclient). I've also seen a perl script called Cache
> Purger, which works by allowing you to search for specific URLs that
> you want to invalidate.

Yes, this was my intention. The logic of Tom's javascript code would be rewritten in a Ruby script,
with care to make sure the Math produced tiles with the same bbox prevision. From all the recently
added points, determine all the invalidated tiles, and run one of the command line tools with this list.

> But, Instead we should solve the problem; dao.rb should have a
> get_[node|gpxpoint|segment]_etag(bbx) method, that allows us to
> compute an etag. This would allow us to send an ETag on the image we
> want to send  and then parse "If-None-Match: ETAG-ETAG-ETAG1" type
> headers that the client sends. If the ETag matches the current one we
> can  send a header with a 304 response code to indicate that nothing
> has changed.

This would be another way to do it. But it would add unneeded complexity on the client? And overhead with
ETAG generation and requests.

-Mikel