[Openstreetmap-dev] CSV transport encoding scheme

David Sheldon dave-osm at earth.li
Thu Jan 26 09:31:06 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 04:18:26PM +0100, Immanuel Scholz wrote:
> If you use these as a parser, it also implies that keys/values does not
> contain any character incompatible with StringTokenizer/split. These are
> line feeds, carrige returns, tabs (since used as delimiter in the outer
> structure), \0, EOF...
>
> All these were possible with XML as transport scheme. So it is when using
> CSV.

XML does not allow \0 or EOF.

The XML spec defines

    Char     ::=    #x9 | #xA | #xD | [#x20-#xD7FF] | [#xE000-#xFFFD] |
    [#x10000-#x10FFFF]

The characters 0-8, 11, 12 and 15-31 are not valid in XML.

Similarly, I have not seen any standard that defines a means of putting
commas, EOF  and new lines in CSV files consistently.

David
--
              Henry Jones: I didn't know you could fly.
                     Indy: Fly, yes. Land, no.