[Openstreetmap-dev] CSV transport encoding scheme

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Jan 26 22:36:32 GMT 2006

Immanuel Scholz wrote:

> I am very unsatisfied with the current server performance,
> especally for map.rb - requests.

If this is indeed XML related, maybe it is because of how XML tags
are concatenated into longer strings (or parsed?), with a lot of
char buffer reallocation?  (That's just a guess.  Many performance
bottlenecks are due to copying data around needlessly.) Is there
another way to handle XML in Ruby than is currently used in
map.rb?  A different library or API?  Could this part be rewritten
in C or should Ruby be thrown out in favor of Python, Perl or
Java?  Since many programmers are happy with Ruby, I guess it
should be possible to solve the problem without abandoning Ruby.

Can you run truss (Solaris) or strace (Linux) on the running
application to find out which system calls it uses?  Or a
traditional profiling?

XML in itself solves so many problems with quoting and structure,
that there should be very little reason to use anything else, for
applications that are designed today (legacy free).  You already
said that UTF-8 was mandatory and that you wouldn't approve of any
other character set.  I agree.  And the same should go for XML.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)