[Openstreetmap-dev] CSV transport encoding scheme

David Sheldon dave-osm at earth.li
Thu Jan 26 23:50:51 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:37:23PM +0000, David Sheldon wrote:
> I'm away for a few days, but if you want I can rewrite map.rb without
> using REXML. Alternatively does ruby have a wrapper for expat that can
> be used to write the XML? expat is a native XML library and should be a
> little faster here.

I should have actually checked, rather than just writing this when I
thought of it. I changed my code to use the libxml wrappers
(libxml.rubyforge.org or apt-get install libxml-ruby). And it now takes
0.22 seconds.

I think that this will be the solution to our speed problems for the
moment. Almost as fast as print, but with all the benefits of using an
XML library. Unfortunatly I don't think I will have time to work on it
before next Thursday, but if nobody else has worked on it, I will spend
some time towards the end of next week changing the current code to use
this.

David
--
Testing can show the presense of bugs, but not their absence.
		-- Dijkstra