[OSM-dev] SAX XML parsing recommendations?

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Mon Jul 10 21:14:22 BST 2006

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations for reliable and (ideally) fast SAX xml
parsers with an intuitive api? I need something to convert planet.osm into
SQL but have run into the following problems:

the PHP SAX parser: seems to be unreliable and runs out of memory easily

REXML (Ruby): seems to work, but takes a long time (27 hours to get the UK out
of the April planet.osm. Oddly for a SAX parser, it took considerably longer
to get the whole UK out compared to a small tile of 0.1 by 0.1 degrees - this
suggests high usage of memory though my script uses as little as possible)

Ideally it would be in php, ruby, c++ but I'm willing to try anything....

Nick