[OSM-dev] osm on rails

Thu Jul 20 11:40:16 BST 2006

Steve wrote:

> With rails, hacking on the server at home would be much easier as it
> runs on anything and is much simpler to hack on than setting up apache
> etc. The unicode stuff becomes easier. Certain bits will be sped up and
> it'll become much easier to add features that I want to. The big apache
> rewrite directives won't be needed and the code becomes somewhat easier
> to read and maintain. I've hacked a bit on it and given that OSM is
> already in ruby it's going quickly.
>
> Any thoughts?

Easy installation is definitely good. Installing mod_ruby and eruby is
making my brain hurt.

Only concern I'd raise is that stability is a real virtue. The move to
REST happened two days after I'd worked out how to use XML-RPC, now
this just after I've got mod_ruby working (though not eruby, yet).
Obviously that's coincidence, but moving around too frequently doesn't
encourage developers. I'd say go for Rails if we're going to stick
with it.

cheers
Richard