[OSM-dev] osm on rails

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Jul 20 11:55:25 BST 2006

Hi,

>> I have setup a testserver about 4 times now and I think the biggest
>> problem is the apache config. That is handled by rails (at least
>> ruby-on-rails says so ;). So it will definetly be easier.
>
> Maybe I missed something but I did not change so much in this file
> (and things are not working :-).  Was there some non-obvious things to
> change?

It should be fine as long as Steve do not just smash the server's
apache-config over my hand-made (which is specialized for this particular
server and, as example, contain ip addresses of local interfaces etc.)...

The problem is, what you have to install first, and what you have to
configure beforehand. mod_ruby, eruby, simple-auth, libmysqld....

Ruby on rails can be deployed easily with an simple ruby-written webserver
and e.g. sqlite or similar simple database, so the hope is, that you don't
have to setup so much for just a test server.

Of course, on the development machine, the administration overhead will
not drop THAT dramatically.. ;-)

Ciao, Imi