[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 17:23:47 BST 2006

As it stands at the moment, areas are identical to ways.  I've found that it
is quite feasible to treat ways as areas and have them render properly.

There's no real need to even tag them with area=true as this is implied by
presence of an area like tag (eg amenity=parking).  That said, some clients
may like to generically identify all areas and treat them in a particlar way
(ignore them, process them first, or whatever).

The SVG rules about how a polygon is filled are quite complex, but seem to
be fairly comprehensive and deal with all the boundary conditions (like
areas with holes in etc).  All that osmarender does is pass this burden to
SVG and let it work out how an arbitrary polygon should be filled - I doubt
that we can invent, or need to invent, anything better.

Etienne