[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Sat Jul 22 10:15:08 BST 2006

Hi,

> Steve's  proposal was simple.  Drop Areas and use Ways that are
> suitably tagged.  Osmarender has an implementation of this using SVG
> as a proof of concept.
>
> Can you show me any examples where it doesn't work please?  I'll try
> to make them work.

We had a non working example:

Make a map request on an "area", where the bounding box is completely
within the area. (as example a view into a forest)

You will not get the "area" returned, because a way does not need to be
returned in this case.

In fact, this example shows nicely, that areas are NOT ways, since areas
are planear objects while ways are not. If later, we like to add some
request as "give me all areas this point is within" (which can be
usefull), you don't want to get ways this way. Every feature that
depends on the two-dimensional attribute of areas will have this
problem.

I think the "simplicism" that Steves sees in traiting ways and areas
equally is by accident and not a fundamental one.

Ciao, Imi.