[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Jul 22 16:54:39 BST 2006

Etienne wrote:

> So if you request a tiny bbox of a small part of a village, in a
> forest, in the Borough of Medina on the Isle of Wight would you
> expect to get the area

Please, folks, is anybody in the near future going to input a lot
of these features into OpenStreetMap?  I'm still drawing "line
segments" and very seldom "ways".  Compared to any traditional GIS
system, OpenStreetMap's data model is ridiculously primitive and
really "good for nothing", except for gathering the rudimentary
free geographic data that we have been waiting many decades for.

When you produce charcoal from timber (combustion without oxygen),
you prepare a clearing in the forest, pile wood together, and
cover with dirt and grass before you light the fire inside. This
is your factory.  After it has burnt some days, you tear it down
and dig out the coal.  If you're nice, you make the ground flat
and leave nothing but the clearing in the forest.  You carry your
product with you, and the "factory" is gone.

This is how I see OpenStreetMap, a very simple use-once factory
for producing some free geographic data.  You guys sound like
architects who are planning a mining town with city library and
all.  Is that really what we have in mind?  And if so, should we
really build on the current codebase?  Wouldn't it make more sense
to build web-editing functionality into GRASS / MapServer?

Let's keep the current codebase as long as it helps us, and
introduce support for the kind of data we can generate.  But
trying to do "the right thing" is only a waste of time.

Areas?  I have never used them.  In a few rare cases (parking
lots, town squares) they could be useful, but I would do fine with
a very restricted kind of area: One that contains nothing.  A
bridge might run over a parking lot, just like line segments run
above each other at a motorway crossing, but connections to these
areas could be at the periphery just like connections to a line
segment must be at its ends.  If you restrict areas to a maximum
of 12 line segments, I will not complain.

Sure, a full GIS system would use areas for administrative borders
and vegetation types, but I have no plans in the foreseeable
future to add that to OpenStreetMap.  Have you?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)