[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Sat Jul 22 22:34:45 BST 2006

Hi,

> All
> The treatment of filled areas in SVG is very simple and is described
> in about 3 paragraphs here:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#FillProperties.
>
> I've used it successfully to rendered areas in Osmarender.
>
> What are the problems that need to be addressed that are not covered
> by this?

The problem is, that we have two suggestions to choose from: either
specify areas as "current way structure with a user defined tag" or as
an own data element, which is proposed to be a list of nodes (polyline).

Your website describes how the area is defined, if you have a list of
nodes (polyline).

To use your suggested SVG specification for defining what should be
drawn, the former way (consisting of a list of lines) has to be
transformed in the latter (polyline). This is possible, but there are
many possibilities, where an way is ill-formed.

So if Steve chooses to implement the "easy" and "simple" way and
removing areas from the database, clients have to check whether you can
draw areas out of the way.

Additional to that, I think that the checking code will be implemented
in the server, namely as soon as the server has to provide area-specific
requests.

Ciao, Imi.

PS: I get the feeling, that this discussion is senseless as Steve, who
is actually doing the stuff seems to not participating anymore?
Steve? ;-)