[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 22:39:44 BST 2006

Andy
Interesting point.  What I think you are saying is that an area could/can be
defined as the boundary of a set of nodes that share a common attribute.

This would work quite nicely for many situations.  All the phoneboxes/post
boxes/buildings with an NW1 postcode could be used to define the NW1 postal
area.  Nobody actually goes out and traces the boundary (probably, nobody
actually knows the real physical boundary), but each phonebox that is tagged
with an NW1 code helps to define the area.

Similarly there have been discussions in the past about the difficulty of
walking administrative boundaries.  If enough nodes within the
administrative unit are tagged as such then the actual line of the boundary
is moot.

There is probably room for a physical boundary based definition as well as a
collection of nodes based definition.  But, the physical boundary based
definition is actually just a set of nodes that have a common attribute;
they all belong to the same way element.

Very interesting idea...

Etienne