[OSM-dev] Updating Nodes table to use a flag for 'current' data

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Jun 3 05:19:33 BST 2006

Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> I'd be happy to write a patch to the getnodes and update/create
> node functions, as well as describe what I've done to the MySQL
> schema,

Sounds good to me.  If I were in charge, this would be done in
three steps: 1. Introduce a way to document the current
performance, e.g. logging slow queries, counting the hourly/daily
rate of requests and their average response times.  2. Introduce
your patch.  3. Document the performance after the patch.

My theory is that the system will feel just as slow afterwards,
because the request rate will increase to consume any performance
gain.  If we don't document the request rate before and after the
change, we won't understand why the system still seems to be slow.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)