[OSM-dev] OpenLayers, GeoRSS and annotations demo

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Wed Jun 14 16:35:46 BST 2006

On 6/14/06, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

> Following on from all the OpenLayers talk, I have put together a small
> demo of combining OpenLayers with OSM data in the form of a prototype of
> my proposed Freemap-OSM site, which allows walkers and other countryside
> users to annotate OSM-derived maps.

I like the prototype Nick. Some thoughts though:

- I don't think you should give end users the decision of what should
go to OSM and what shouldn't - my view is that that should be handled
by some logic behind the scenes. Users shouldn't be faced with that
choice I don't think. When I was faced with that option I wasn't sure
which I should do.

- Adding annotations should provide some visual feedback.

- Leading on from that, how are you going to deal with annotations
that people add to OSM? If they add them, but you're only going to be
pulling in the OSM data every month using the planet.osm, how will
that work? Perhaps store in your database the ID of the object created
in OSM so that they're linked, then when changes are made to the
version in your site, you can push those back to OSM. You'd also need
to regularly check the other way round as well - what happens when
something changes in OSM that also exists on your site?

Sorry for the braindump, I'm curious about how these things should be
handled by OSM clients.

--
Dan Karran
dan at karran.net