[OSM-dev] Re: OpenLayers, GeoRSS and annotations demo

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 14:12:58 BST 2006

>On 14/06/06, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

>> - there are some odd quirks. Not sure whether these are openlayers
issues
>> or bugs in my code. For example, the map rendering after the search
(which
>> uses brainoff.com/geocoder)  is very, very slow for places distant from
>> the default e.g. Sutton Coldfield, but fast for places relatively
nearby
>> e.g. Winchester.

>Same here, very strange.  Would need to look at what OpenLayers is
>doing under the hood there I think.

>> Also the contours don't appear until you drag the map.
>> I'll need to check these out on the openlayers list.

I've had feedback from the OpenLayers list on these issues.

They're looking into the first issue (the slow rendering issue). The
second issue (the contours not appearing until you click the map) can be
solved by adding the layers before you set the centre of the map in the
code. That said, they are looking to fix this so that it is not a
requirement.

Nick