[OSM-dev] Least squares to trace curved GPS data as segments

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Jun 18 21:32:26 BST 2006

Stefan de Konink wrote:

> What I would like to suggest is a to automatically trace the
> points using Least Squares to curves.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_squares

(Today I'm going to be the old-school GIS guy, for a change.)

These are the traditional arguments against your suggestions:

No geographic information system (GIS) has ever used curved line
segments or splines.  All use straight line segments and curves
are represented by inserting more points.  Even for "straight"
lines, there should be a maximum length of line segments.

Drawing a nice map on the OSM website can be one thing, but the
purpose of OSM is to generate free geographic data that can be
used in other applications, including traditional GIS software.
These can handle straight line segments, but not curved ones. How
were you going to export the curved segments?

Any curve drawing function becomes dependent on the chosen map
projection.  What looks like a straight line in one projection,
can be a curve in another.  The border between the northwestern
United States and Canada runs along the latitude 49 degrees north
of the equator, so you only need two endpoints and a long line.
But if you try to drive a car along this line, you will constantly
be turning.  If it was 89 degrees north, it would be more clear
that you are indeed driving in a circle around the pole.

While this problem also appears with straight line segments, the
solution is to make each segment short enough that this bending
error becomes smaller than the precision of the coordinates.  And
if you are using short enough segments, you can just as well do
with straight line segments.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)