[OSM-dev] Slippy map way forward -- OpenLayers and/or Mapstraction?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Jun 29 18:04:07 BST 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 05:50:17PM +0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Now we've got the new renderer up it seems a good point to ask the
> question about how to take the slippy map forward, to support annotations
> and the like. It seems that there are a combination two possible
> approaches we could take -- OpenLayers (which I've already experimented
> with) or (in view of the fact that it will talk to OSM in the future and
> intends to support georss etc) Mapstraction wrapped around OpenLayers
> and/or the existing slippy map.
>
> Any views on which way to proceed (particularly from Steve) as this is one
> of the OSM things I would like to focus on over the large amount of free
> time I will have over the summer (the others are improving the renderer,
> GPS map support, and perhaps expanding the search facility).

With the new renderer in place, OpenLayers could easily implement a
WGS-84 version of the OpenLayers map (less than 10 minutes of work --
you could probably use the WMS Layer as-is).

However, the 'twisting' of lat/lon rasters to mercator is something that
OpenLayers does not yet support. In order to create a map that looks
like the current OSM map, it would be neccesary to reimplement the math
that does the Mercator projection in tile.js in an OpenLayers.Layer
class.

I don't have the time to devote to that right now, but would be willing
to offer advice to anyone who did take that on as a task.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer