[OSM-dev] problem with the drawing of roads on the slippy map

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 14:49:51 GMT 2006

On 3/2/06, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> yes, see previous threads about this. its a feature to stop db
> thrashing.
>
> I have some map generalisation stuff in the pipeline so different things
> are rendered at different resaolutions

Why not just cache zoomed-out tiles for longer?  It was really nice to
be able to see outside the M25 in London, or the whole of the Isle of
Mann for example.  Obviously whole countries/continents is overkill,
but still.  Perhaps rendering 'state of the union' tiles once every
couple of weeks would be worth the down-time?

I know this is a moot point pending potential new machines, new
interfaces for tagging road types, etc, but it's worth thinking about.

Tom.