[OSM-dev] Caching

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Mar 26 11:32:14 BST 2006

 It's becoming clear that I'll have to do some caching with Freemap to
speed rendering of tiles to the user, but this always leads to compromises
in speed of download vs. storage space, as server-side caching is notable
for eating through disc space.

 My initial thoughts would be to cache tiles as they are requested by
users, keep them in the cache for say 14 days and (when OSM provides this
functionality) run a cron job every night at say 3am which gets a list of
changed tiles from OSM. Any thoughts on this?

Steve - btw would it be a bind for me to do this caching for Freemap on
the dev server?

Nick