[OSM-dev] Not-so-useless facts about OSM data...

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 12:27:56 BST 2006

On 3/28/06, nick at hogweed.org <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:
> Just tried requesting *all* OSM data in the box bounded by 51N, 52N, 1W and
> the Greenwich Meridian, an area which includes most of London as well as the
> original Freemap data near Petersfield.
>
> Surprisingly, it all comes to only 6MB and only just over 1MB when gzipped,
> i.e. small enough to fit on a floppy disc. It makes the prospect of caching
> XML on client sites such as Freemap seem more feasible than I thought...

I think Steve mentioned that there were 1 GB of data in the DB total,
and I guessing there is about 100MB of numbers and tags describing the
nodes and segments. With XML I'm guessing at most 300MB at the moment.

I think it's a promising prospect to cache API tiles. How are you
going to do it? If you are doing it in a new way, different from the
image tiling of the applet and slippy map, then I have one tip. Keep
the api tiles on easy to use boundaries, e.g. 18.00,59.30,18.09,59.33,
because if you do it's going to be easier to store and purge in Squid.

--
/Erik